How to Make Stuffed Bell Peppers
Stuffed bell peppers are a southern treat that goes back a few decades. There are many varieties of stuffed bell peppers. In this recipe, I am going to describe how to make the traditional stuffed bell peppers.
There are some key ingredients in this recipe that must be done right. The shrimp, crabmeat, and crab boil are all seasonings that can be googled. It’s something about fresh Louisiana gulf shrimp that makes food taste a lot better.
The tasso and ham cajun smoked is another added bonus. I also ensure that I add the seasonings. If you want this to be a meal to remember, please make sure that these key ingredients are sacrificed. Ok, let’s begin.
- 5 bell peppers (Green or Yellow)
- 1 Large yellow onion
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 lb Small shrimp (91-130 count)
- 8 oz or more lump crab meat
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs. I prefer to use Italian bread crumbs.
- 2/3 cups of chicken broth
- Chopped tasso or ham (optional)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 tsb liquid crab boil. I prefer to use Zatarain’s.
- salt and pepper
- onion and garlic powders
- Diced one pepper, onion, and celery finely; put aside in a cool location
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil
- Add crab boil
- Slice remaining peppers in half and remove seeds
- Add peppers to boiling water
- Boil for 5-7 mins or until they soften just a bit.
- Drain and allow them to cool
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F
- Season and brown ground meat. Don’t over cook ground meat. Remember the oven will do the rest.
- Drain and set aside in a bowl
- Using the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Saute veggies until the have a translucent look to them.
- Add shrimp
- Then Season lightly
- Saute until shrimp start to blush. Be careful not to over cook
- Add shrimp and veggies to the ground meat
- Then the breadcrumbs and broth (ham and tasso if you’re using it)
- Mix and taste
- Adjust seasoning if needed
- Add in cheese. Try not to over power the Bell Peppers with cheese.
- Gently fold in crab meat
- Stuff peppers and place into a greased baking dish
- Bake for 15-20 mins covered to trap moisture.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese if you’d like